Sunday, May 10, 2009

Miss Peanut Ponders Chinese Adoption


Ever since I learned in junior high, that in China, female children are not valued or desired, I had an impulse to adopt one. I don't know why or where this inclination came from, probably my feminist beliefs, but when I think of my future with a child, I never imagine that it will pass through my body. Instead, I picture her as a Chinese baby girl. 

However, "my impulse" would have to change to "Dave and I's dedication" if this was truly going to happen. The Chinese government has very strict international adoption laws.  

These requirements are...

 

·       Married couples age 30 to 50 years are eligible to adopt a healthy child; couples age 50 to 55 years are eligible to adopt a Waiting Child

·       Married for 2 years; if either parent was previously married, current marriage must be at least 5 years; no more than 2 previous marriages for either parent

·       Both parents are fully mentally and physically healthy, including Body Mass Index under 40, no medication for psychological conditions within the past 2 years, no chronic medical conditions that limit life expectancy, no significant mental health diagnosis, no history of substance abuse within the past 10 years.

·       Annual income exceeding $10,000 per family member, including child to be adopted (i.e. $30,000 for a couple adopting their first child)

·       Family’s net worth must exceed $80,000

·       Both parents have high school diploma or higher

·       Families with more than 4 children under 18 are not accepted; youngest child must be over 1 year old (Restriction does not apply to families adopting Waiting Children)

·       No criminal record or history of domestic violence, sexual abuse, or child abuse/neglect

·       One applicant must be a U.S. citizen

·      

Some of these requirements Dave and I could pass with our hands tied behind our backs. However, others would require more planning. For one, we would have to get married immediately. Due to Dave’s past marital status we would have to be married 5-years before starting the application. If he could possibly get his marriage annulled and I don’t think, “ I was really drunk at the reception” counts as grounds for an annulment, the minimum would be 2 years. In addition to this, it takes 3-years from the start of an application to receiving your child.  So we are all ready up to a 5-8 year wait.

Now, if we would start this process; we also have to pay $23,000, when finalized. While, they don’t expect you to pay up-front, you do need to come up with thousands of dollars at a time. I guess one positive of waiting 8-years is that you have time to save!

Then there are requirements that almost seem impossible, “Family’s net worth must exceed $80,000.” In 5-years could Dave and I’s net worth exceed $80,000? With a mortgage, school loans, credit card debt, and car payments, is it possible? I haven’t actually sat down and done the math, partially because I am too scared to look at those figures.

When I started researching the process, I didn’t expect to find myself seriously considering my financial situation. However, maybe this is the Chinese government’s intention. Should, anyone haphazardly decide to adopt or have a child? Maybe, some version of these requirements should be in place in the United States. Honestly, should just anyone be allowed to have a child? I understand what road that would lead us down. One filled with elitism and Whites. But truthfully, the criteria set by the Chinese government isn’t so insane. It shows an expectation of stability and as an adolescent mental health counselor, I know stability is what children thrive on. After consideration the Chinese government's requirements seem logical. 

Currently, I am sitting at Panera Bread. When I walked in the doors, I saw in the corner of the restaurant a White, married couple, with their Asian baby girl. They had that “we just returned from attending church” look. They appeared clean and crisp. I am the antithesis of them. I am a single, in-debt, tattooed, and agnostic. Could I ever clean up that much? Could Dave and I fake-out the Chinese government? I think we can and give one baby girl, a life full of Love, Fun, Creativity, and most importantly Stability. 


3 comments:

  1. You are a die-hard and I couldn't love you more for it girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sari! i hope that all your plans go well for this-you'd be the perfect mother! if it dosn't work out, you can always adopt me, lol. =D

    ReplyDelete